Scoring an internship is both exhilarating and really scary. It’s a great way to get work experience and figure out what you want to do with your life. Plus, it’s a major key to landing a job when you’re ready to begin a full-time career. If you’re an intern, make sure you know these 22 important pieces of advice before heading to the office.
- This is your time to seriously impress some important people. They could give you a job in the future!
- You often don’t get to do exciting work. It’s time to pay your dues, and sometimes that means doing monotonous tasks.
- Always dress to impress. It shows that you care and aren’t afraid to get noticed.
- Take notes, lots of them. Absorb as much information as you can.
- Stand up for yourself. Don’t allow your superiors to take advantage of you or make you work far more hours than agreed upon.
- Keep a positive attitude at all times. People will see that you’re an awesome person to have around the office.
- Make sure to ask for feedback. Ask your supervisor how you’re doing, and if there’s anything you can do to improve.
- Always show up on time. Or even early! Punctuality is very important for any career.
- Pay attention to the office’s work culture. Make sure to keep behavioral and social expectations in mind; co-workers will notice.
- Clarify your internship expectations before it begins. Know what is required of you and make sure it’s reasonable.
- Proofread everything, even emails. Everyone will be impressed by your clean work.
- Keep your social media classy. Get rid of any inappropriate photos or posts — your bosses will definitely be checking!
- Stay focused. Stay away from distractions and make the most of the time you have.
- Build good relationships. Be friendly to your co-workers and get to know them.
- Ask for challenges. Show your supervisor that you’re willing to push yourself and expand your skills.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for advice. Your co-workers are a wealth of knowledge; take advantage of it! They appreciate that you care.
- Put your phone away. Don’t constantly check your phone — it looks very unprofessional.
- Never gossip. Stay out of office drama and don’t talk about rumors. It’s inappropriate and will get you in trouble.
- Always have a pen and notebook on you. You will be much less stressed if you have a place to write down directions and notes.
- Know that one Internship doesn’t dictate your entire career. You could find out that an industry is not right for you — it’s not the end of the world!
- Treat your internship like it’s a real job. Don’t discredit it if you’re only getting school credit or minimum wage. Think of it as the beginning of your career.
- Never forget to thank the company for this opportunity. It’s a privilege to get an internship! Employers will remember you if you leave with gratitude when it’s time to say goodbye. One thank you note can go a long way.
For further assistance related to Internship related queries in India, Dubai or Singapore, please visit : http://www.pursueasia.com